Here are some practical tips on planning the kitchen for the new norm turning this space that churns out food into a conducive workspace
1. Define the cooking and working space needsa. For young couples waiting to move into their BTO; Browse design reference from https://www.postofixe.com/bto_resales-flats_condo_kitchen__design_ideas/
Who have some budget to spare could consider an open kitchen with an island counter is a great gathering and workspace. Just a point to note during serious smoke from cooking will carry oil particles to various part of the open kitchen and connecting room like adjoining living which will need to be cleaned and mopped more often than an enclosed kitchen.
If there is a budget constraint a simple close door kitchen space with a single role of kitchen cabinet on one side of the wall might suffice for couples who just want to use the kitchen for functional food warming and other lighting cooking while having a dinning cum working desk on the opposite wall will create a conducive working space. Design reference from https://www.postofixe.com/bto_resales-flats_condo_kitchen__design_ideas/
For the serious cook, a simple roll of cabinets might not meet your preparation space needs as the ergonomics and worktop space might not be good enough for you. Plan ahead if you need to have a separate space for work when the family grow with more children and the inclusion of a domestic helper this valuable kitchen space might come in very handy.
Working and studying from home with the new norm in the post Covid-19 years, therefore, private space for online conferencing is crucial and needs for privacy needs to be thought through carefully as conversing with each other online might interfere with other members of the family who needs to focus on their work. Folding glass/aluminium partition could be a solution to the enclosed space when an uninterrupted environment is needed. Photos credit: Lowyat.net One important thing to note is to make sure that the kitchen could receive the wifi signal which is the source of life for everything online, therefore the need to have rooms in direct line of sight to the wifi router is crucial for your success to convert this space. You might want to consider installing a wifi router at a central place or using the latest NEST technology routers for sufficient signal coverage.
c. For couples going into their golden years;
Where there are plenty of space with careful planning of appliances and what we really need as older folks tend to horde on “things” that bring back memories or considered a waste to dispose of useful stuff. The problem with this thinking is that no matter how much space there is, there will never be enough space for things of yesteryears. I have personally experienced this as I have thrown away almost 25 large trash bags of kitchen stuff from my MIL leave over after her stay with us.
My advice is to donate those excess to charity and keep what we really need or better still start over with new utensils to explore the excitement of creating new dishes that the family enjoys.
Important things to note as silver generation aged and mobility becomes an issue kitchen stuff would need to be reachable when planning for a kitchen renovation, consideration like the use of drawers on floor cabinets and wall cabinets to be built within reach without the need to climb to take down things so as to prevent fall which is illustrated here:
A larger kitchen table is a particularly useful worktop for the silver generation with the stay-home advice for them to work on handicraft projects or enjoy the moment of love with online facetime with love ones is a marvellous alternative to being a couch potato
2. Kitchen ergonomics:Is the study of the human relationship with work relating to the sink, fridge and hob crucial to the human comfort working long hours before fatigue sets in, kitchen specialist advice the following triangulated set up for efficient workflow: Work comfort comes into play as you work on the countertop to prepare food, if you are above or below the average human height, do note this ideal countertop height in relation to your height: .
3. Functional cabinet organisersAre highly recommended to maximise the storage capacity and lifesaver when it comes to organising sauces.
4. The popular colour and design trend;a. white with wood grain theme b. Grey and white theme c. pastel theme Photo credit – www.magnet.co.uk, For more design reference visit https://www.postofixe.com/bto_resales-flats_condo_kitchen__design_ideas/
In conclusion, great kitchen workspace experience cannot do without a well-designed worktop which may take the following 3 alternatives;
1. Solid dining table that matches your kitchen décor Browse dining table here – https://www.postofixe.com/product-category/loose-furniture/dining-table/ and chairs here https://www.postofixe.com/product-category/loose-furniture/dining-chair/
2. Go for an open concept with an island counter Get your kitchen island here; https://www.postofixe.com/product-category/kitchen_cabinet/island-cabinets/
3. Look through the window with high-level worktop: Browse kitchen designs samples here https://www.postofixe.com/bto_resales-flats_condo_kitchen__design_ideas/
Happy planning, if you need any advice do leave us a note below we will try to get back to you soon.